Gynostemma pentaphyllum is a perennial herb with a climbing habit, belonging to the Cucurbitaceae family. It grows spontaneously in the south-east of China, on Mount Fanjing, in a cool-humid climate, but it is easily cultivated even in our country.
The innumerable beneficial properties of this plant were known since ancient times and was used in the days of the Ming dynasty (1300 BC). In ancient Chinese medical texts it is referred to as a miraculous plant or “the herb of immortality” or eternal life.
It has several vulgar names, the most common is Jiaogulan, but it is also referred to as Makino, Xiancao, which means “immortal herb”, or “Southern Ginseng” for its chemical composition similar to ginseng but with very different properties.
Properties and benefits of the Gynostemma
The Gynostemma pentaphyllum, taken as an infusion, can be useful for preventing and coping with numerous health problems.
In fact, it has very special medicinal properties that few other medical plants can boast.
Active ingredients : it is described in various texts as one of the most valid adaptogens, with anti-aging effects and increased physical strength (viability). As evidenced by the pharmacological studies conducted on the raw extracts of Gynostemma. The ability to stimulate the immune system is due to the numerous triterpenoid saponins, to the different flavonoids and gypenosides that counts in its phytocomplex.
Health benefits :
- Reduces pain and inflammation : the Gynostemma is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is able to relieve the pain caused by diseases often also very disabling such as arthritis, many chronic inflammatory and autoimmune diseases.
- Adaptogen : adaptogenic plants increase the resistance and defenses of the organism in a nonspecific manner, stimulating it to react positively to stressful situations; situations that can be variously interpretable, such as stressful events of a physical or emotional nature. The Gynostemma is a very powerful adaptogen comparable to the most famous Korean Ginseng and Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi).
- Increases the immune system : The Gynostemma has immunostimulant properties, ie it is able to improve the body’s immune response to external agents and to the attack of viruses, fungi and pathogenic bacteria. For this same reason in the East it is also used as a supplement therapy in Cancer patients.
- Anti-age : The gypenosidi present in the Gynostemma can counteract the free radicals that affect our body, carrying out an important anti-aging action.
- It reduces bad cholesterol and triglycerides : the Gynostemma has a positive effect on lipid metabolism, facilitating the reduction of fat levels in the blood and therefore of the deposits in the blood vessels. This means that it is a plant suitable to counteract the formation of plaques that cause arteriosclerosis. In addition to acting on lipids, the saponins present in the extracts of this plant have shown the ability to reduce levels of “bad” cholesterol in favor of “good” cholesterol.
Other properties of the Gynostemma
- reduces migraine;
- increases liver function in patients with liver disease;
- fights gastrointestinal disorders;
- improves memory and brain functions;
- improves sports and sexual performance;
- controls the blood sugar (blood sugar levels) of people with diabetes;
- reduces the growth and spread of cancer cells.
How to use the Gynostemma
The dried leaves of Gynostemma should be used to prepare an infusion .
The dosages are: a teaspoon of Gynostemma, for a quantity of water equal to one cup.
Leave the grass to rest in boiling water for about 10 minutes , after which it is filtered and drunk.
You can also drink every day, from 1 to 3 cups a day.
Although the Gynostemma is considered among the safest herbs for food use, there are some possible side effects that you should be aware of. Gynostemma should not be taken by pregnant women and people taking anticoagulants or with coagulation disorders.
Where to buy the Gynostemma
On our website you can buy the Gynostemma both as an herbal tea and as a plant to grow at home. In any case you will have the guarantee of an organic product, cultivated in a healthy and natural way by our farm, in the open countryside of the hills of Fermo (Italy).
Here is where to find our products:
Video on the properties of the Gynostemma
Here you can find an informative video on the medicinal properties of Gynostemma:
NB : All information published on this site is informative and should not be considered as advice, or medical prescriptions, or other.