Snails are famous for their slowness and their ability to damage plants and vegetables. However, there is growing interest in the slimy, sticky secretion they leave in their path .
Hard to imagine, yet snail slime is rightly considered one of the most powerful beauty elixirs in nature .
So much so that in recent years creams, gels and face masks containing slime collected from snails have become increasingly popular beauty treatments.
In this article, I will explain in detail why snail slime is so effective in preventing the appearance and treating wrinkles, skin blemishes, old scars, signs of aging and many other skin blemishes .
Snail slime: a remedy already known for centuries
Snail slime is a remedy known to man for thousands of years. Already in the fifth century BC, Hippocrates in his corpus described its medicinal properties and for many years, snails were used by doctors everywhere to treat inflammation, coughs and gastritis . Over time, this knowledge has been lost, only to come back to light in the 1980s.
During the early 1980s, the Bascunan family began running a snail farm in Chile to export them to restaurants throughout France. Despite the hard work, they realized that their hands were always smooth, velvety, soft, bright and free of stains and even seemed to possess incredible regenerative abilities: cuts, injuries, abrasions and scratches disappeared in a short time without leaving any marks. Intrigued, they had some Helix Aspersa Muller tissue and slime samples analyzed in the nearby laboratory. The mystery was soon revealed.
The laboratory analyzes highlighted that snail slime contained numerous beneficial active ingredients for the skin, such as vitamins, proteins, polysaccharides, collagen and much more that our body normally needs to perform various functions at both the epidermal level. than intradermal.
In a short time, the discovery aroused the interest of various scientists and cosmetic products companies, intent on stealing the secrets of this new elixir of well-being and beauty .
And within a few years snail slime-based creams and cosmetics climbed to the top of the ranking of the most requested anti-aging items on the market.
But exactly, what does Snail Slime contain?
Snail slime is rich in substances that are beneficial for the skin. Inside we find active ingredients such as:
- Allantoin : is a substance capable of promoting tissue regeneration, and has nourishing and protective properties of the epidermis. It is used in all those products intended to treat small skin imperfections, such as acne, scars, abrasions and wrinkles.
- Collagen : one of the main components of the skin, the collagen of snail slime gives elasticity, softness and tone.
- Mucopolysaccharides : very important molecules to maintain the hydration that the skin needs for a long time. They defend the skin from the aggressions of external agents and contribute to its tone. The slime is very rich in mucopolysaccharides in particular the hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfuric acid which are found constitutionally in the skin; in a young skin the former prevails while in a “dated” skin the second. Thanks to its richness in these molecules, snail slime is considered a very important ally to maintain correct skin hydration by restoring the right balance between hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfuric acid.
- Glycolic acid : stimulates the formation of new collagen, promotes cell renewal and makes the complexion brighter, more uniform and smoother.
- Elastin : is a protein capable of giving greater elasticity.
- Purifying Peptides : thanks to the presence of these particular peptides, the mucus acts as a purifier against bacteria and microorganisms. Action that is particularly useful for impure, oily, pimply and acne-prone skin.
- Vitamins A and E and essential amino acids : essential because they give hydration, as they promote greater vascularization; in addition, vitamins are useful for their antioxidant action.
Thanks to the synergy of all these substances, snail slime can boast healing properties, favoring the repair of wounds and slowing down skin aging, and anti-wrinkle, stimulating the production of collagen fibers, elastic fibers and hyaluronic acid and counteracting the action of enzymes. that degrade them; moreover, it has an intense antioxidant action , protecting cells from free radicals that are formed due to UV rays.
All the benefits of snail slime
- Moisturizing action : thanks to the presence of mucopolysaccharides, snail slime is excellent for skin hydration.
- Healing action : the combined effect of allantoin, vitamins and collagen stimulates the regenerative processes of the tissues.
- Soothing action : the presence of allantoin, together with proteins and mucopolysaccharides, helps in the prevention and reduction of redness due to sunlight and cold.
- Purifying action : glycolic acid and peptides prevent the accumulation of impurities on the skin and, if already present, help eliminate them.
- Exfoliating action : the glycolic acid present in the snail slime allows a delicate peeling of the superficial layer of the skin, the reduction of skin spots and the prevention of the formation of stretch marks on the breast and body.
- Regenerating action : allantoin stimulates the production of elastin and collagen fibers, which therefore allow to repair the tissues and smooth wrinkles.
- Nourishing action : the snail slime used in cosmetic creams, thanks to the elasticity and collagen it contains, gives greater elasticity to the tissues and offers beneficial effects on wrinkles, which will appear less visible.
- Protective action : protects the skin both from premature aging and from ultraviolet rays and dryness.
- Antibacterial action : it is one of the reasons why it is used in the treatment against acne, as it has the ability to kill the bacteria that cause it.
When and how to apply snail slime
The pure snail slime serum can be used throughout the year and at any time of the day, or even before bedtime. It is good for women and children, little ones, adults and the elderly. It can also be applied several times a day, as needed and based on the type of product chosen.
The snail slime serum , or a good snail slime cream, can be used both as a form of prevention , usually before the age of 40, so as to ward off skin aging and keep the skin toned and luminous, and as a form of treatment of wrinkles, scars, spots and other skin imperfections .
Snail slime is not photosensitizing , so it can also be used in summer. The pure snail slime serum is also excellent as an after-sun, thanks to its protective and calming action.
Method of extracting the snail slime
Unfortunately, snail slime manufacturers often use machinery that transmits an electric shock followed by a long vibration to stimulate the snail to secrete the slime. However, often causing the death of the animal due to fatigue and stress.
Our farm totally rejects these practices and uses only raw material extracted from certified Italian snail farms, which use the extraction method by manual stimulation. It is a more tiring and expensive method, but it allows us to respect the snail, with a view to ethics and love for the nature that represents us, while obtaining a very high quality slime .